Our Mission Statement

At Salem we exist to . . .

Welcome people to Jesus Christ.

Equip people with a faith that works in their lives, and

Send people into the world to serve in Jesus’ name. 

 

 

Brief History

Founded by Swedish and Norwegian immigrants, the first worship service of the “Deerwood Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Church” was on Christmas Eve 1889. At first this congregation would meet together in small groups at various homes and whoever could speak fluently enough would read from the Bible. Later they were fortunate enough to have ministers come from neighboring towns. The first church building to house the congregation was built in 1898-99. The second building was erected on the same site in 1959-60 and added on to in 1977 and 1988. The present building was completed – also on the same site – July 2010.

Salem was a member congregation of the Augustana Lutheran Synod until 1962 when several Lutheran denominations merged to form the Lutheran Church in America (LCA). In 1987 the LCA merged with the American Lutheran Church (ALC) and the Association of Evangelical Lutheran Churches (AELC) to form the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America (ELCA).